What does EGCG do?
The biochemical properties of green tea extracts can be generally divided into four aspects:
How Does EGCG Work?
The anti-carcinogenic properties of green tea extracts have been a focus of recent scientific research. In many experiments, green tea extracts show inhibitory effects on cancer cells.
In vitro assays have shown that Catechins in green tea extracts block the cell cycle of cancer cells and induce programmed cell death (apoptosis). In vivo, these extracts also inhibit prostatic carcinoma transplanted in mice.
Green tea Catechins can influence cancer metabolism in a multitude of ways:
- Through telomerase inhibition inhibiting topoisomerases
- tNOX inhibition
- Selective inhibition of COX2 enzymes without influencing COX1
- Induction of cellular apoptosis and regulation
- Inhibition of BCL-2 proteins
- Exhibiting a wide range of anti-inflammatory characteristics
- Liver protective
- Beneficial for blood vessel health